Music festival fashion is a favorite style of ours. In fact, we have an entire summer clothing line inspired by it. Festivals are one of the few places in the world where you can dress any way you want and fit right in. Vans Warped Tour, in particular, appeals to such a wide variety of people that we couldn’t help but people watch all day, marveling at some of the brilliant trends attendees came up with. (You can see in our previous post some of the amazing outfits we captured.) If you’re planning your Warped Tour attire, or just your summer wardrobe in general, we want to help by providing an affordable, style catalogue of sorts; a rundown of the top trends we’ve seen on tour so far.
1. Bathing suits, such a smart idea. The weather has been so bipolar lately, stifling hot and sunny one second, humid and pouring rain the next. Wearing a bathing suit makes it easy to take off clothes, and still look cute and festival-ready. We spotted mostly flowery, animal and geometric prints in fluorescent colors. Bandeau and halter tops were, by far, the most popular. (They’re also ideal for trying on clothes without a changing tent!)
2. Crop tops could be anything from a spandex/cotton blend bearing your whole stomach, to a rolled up t-shirt showing just your waistline. It seemed like every other girl wore a crop top, and we say the more the merrier! Not only are they cute and easy to wear, but they are a fantastic ode to trends of the 60s and 90s.
3. High-waisted shorts were often paired with bathing suit and crop tops. There is something so cool about vintage, high-waisted denim. Of course, your shorts don’t need to be denim. We saw a lot of cool spandex bottoms in fun prints, a lot of paisley and stripe patterns.
4. Backpacks were, surprisingly, everywhere. We saw one too many of the drawstring variety, though. If you’re going to do the backpack thing, why not invest in one that does the job and looks good at the same time. Choose one that’s small enough to carry just what you need (including all the free stuff and souvenirs!), in bright colors (A. so you don’t lose it and B. it looks amazing paired with your outfit), made from a canvas material that can stand some roughing up and dirt.
5. Flats/sneakers, mainly close-toed shoes. We love a good gladiator sandal, but Warped Tour just doesn’t seem like the most ideal place for them (hence the moshing, mud, dirt, and miles of walking). Throw on a pair of reliable sneakers or boots and call it a day, or choose a comfortable pair of cute flats that won’t murder your feet while you walk from stage to stage.
6. Oversized sunglasses are a must-have at Warped Tour. We saw a lot in basic black and brown, round and square frames, but we also saw a lot with floral designs and cat-eye frames. Sunglasses are cool because there’s an infinite amount of styles to match anyone’s personality. When it comes to sunglasses, oversized is best. They top off outfits, they’re statement pieces, so the bigger the better.
Fellow Threads will be in 7 more cities this summer, so make sure to stop by and see us if you’re at Warped! We want to meet you, hang out, take pictures, and feature you on our many social media sites. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask!